Sunday, January 10, 2010

Estes Park.

My last week of break has gone by too fast, but it was all worth it. It was an awesome week filled with new adventures Here in Colorado. I sure do hate the cold however, I've recently discovered a new found love for it...not only does it bring the best snow for some huge snowmans (which we haven't managed to do this year yet...) but also for snowshoeing!!! It very well may be my new favorite thing to do in Denver.

The week started with friends coming into town. We picked them up early Monday morning. For the next two days, we hung around Denver going shopping, watching movies, playing video games, and eating. On Wednesday we all headed up to Estes park for some rest and relaxation sort of thing. We weren't allowed to check in until 4 pm which allowed us to sleep in, make a nice breakfast, and pack up Zach's new element for the short hour and a half journey.

The drive wasn't that great. Just outside of Denver it began to snow. And we all know that when it snows... it snows. It soon went from a light flurry to a blizzard and that hour and a half turned into two hours. It still wasn't that bad of a drive and the closer we got to our destination the more the snow lighted up. After arriving in Estes, we found the hotel and checked in and from there we laid low in the hotel for the rest of the night. I had prepared a few meals and soon started the first dish while we sat at the table and I was taught to play Rummy. *Beep* and dinner was done. I served up the food and our dinner conversation lead to the conclusion that we should rent The Shining and then tour the little town and The Stanley hotel (where Stephen King stayed while writing The Shining). It was a long movie and just after midnight we all headed to bed. Thursday morning we woke up early to make breakfast and get ready for our big day of sightseeing.

Estes Park, is such a cute little town. It offers quite a bit to do not only for the Coloradians (hiking, biking, snowshoeing, ect), but it also offered a movie theater, the best pizza we've had in Colorado yet, and best little shops around. After walking 'main street' we decided to head out to lunch and The Stanley hotel. We were a bit bummed to find out that the hotel doesn't offer free tours (like we thought). It's free to walk the first floor and an additional $15 to tour the rest of the hotel. So we decided maybe another time and went back to the hotel to rest up for Fridays adventures, a movie, and some pool in the game room.

This awesome little store that had the most belt buckles I've ever seen! It is also were I got 2 old school Marilyn photos and we got Jamie his favorite... Clint Eastwood.
Jellies!
Heather's a funny little hat.
Stanley Hotel...

Overall Pano of the place.
Zach and Joey inside the Stanley.
Inside the Stanley... I stopped taking photos when Zach and I decided to go back another day.
Heather photographing the outside of the Stanley.
Heather in the car...
Zach driving his new car :)
Joe...
Filling up in Estes Park...$2.94 ugh!

Friday was by far my favorite day. We got up, ate breakfast, and loaded the car for our snowshoeing adventure inside of Rocky Mountain National Park. We had to rent the snowshoes which wasn't expensive at all like we thought it would be. I'm now considering purchasing my own snowshoes. I can't say enough just how amazing this was. It was a workout and yet relaxing at the same time. I didn't even get that cold... starting out from the start point and once on our way back down after we breaked for lunch I was cold, however once you get moving ... you sweat!

Zach all ready to go!
Us ♥ Heather
Joe fixing Heathers jacket.
Bierstadt Lake... 4.0 miles
Bear Lake.
Boys headed out on the frozen lake... it was pretty awesome however, I didn't venture too far out there.
Joe and Heather.

My poles.
Heather watching the boys head out on the ice.
My shoes :)
Zach and I on the ice...
It's a Glacier. I love this spot.

It seems like every aspen is carved into... sad and at the same time I'd like mine on there Hmm...
Zach eating some fruit snacks.
Zach again :)
Heather and Joe lead the way.

He's a cutie.

Some animal tracks we kept seeing.
1 more mile to go!

Muahah...

We finally arrived!
Just a gorgeous place.
Zach on the Lake. I love this one.
Heather and Joe at our resting point.
Boys exploring the new lake.
This cute little bird came to see what we were eating for lunch. He was so fuzzy, I wanted to take him home.
"Hey Joe, lets see who can go furthest onto the lake." - Zach
He found this neat log...
Us on the lake ♥


My snowshoes again... I was eating my sandwhich here :)
Heading back to Bear Lake and the car. Only .4 more miles to go.







It was so breath taking... literally!
My guy ;) We enjoyed the hike very much and I look forward to going again soon. I'm working on convincing Jamie to go however, he's not a snow or cold fan... Neither was I and look at me now haha
To the car!


Group Shot!!
On our way out of the park look what we saw... Elk! A bunch of females and a few very young males. Nothing like what I saw/heard back in October, but still great :)



After 3 hrs and 4 miles of hiking we made it back to the car and were exhausted. After returning to the hotel that night, we changed, went to pizza, and hit up the local movie theater to watch Invictus. A great movie, but not so great people... The ladies behind chatted throughout the ENTIRE movie and my hands froze due to the fact that there were no cup holders. But none-the-less it was a cute little theater. Friday was definitely a great way to end the weekend in Estes Park.

Saturday we checked out by noon and headed back to our house where we changed and got ready for Avatar in 3D! We arrived at the theater to find out that the show we were an hour early to was already sold out, so we had to buy tickets to the later show and waste 4 hrs looking in the shops. An hour before the show, we headed back to the theater to make sure we got good seats and waiting in a line. Luckily, we were 4th in line and able to get the best seats! Tired from all the travels, we headed straight to bed after the long, but good movie.

Zach after we loaded up his element and were ready to head back to Denver.
Take the stairs to the top and you'll find our hotel room.

Today... we took them to the airport and Zach headed to work. It's just been roomie and I watching football and being EXTREMELY lazy today. I'd say overall it's been a successful break and I look forward to school just to see friends and to stop being so lazy however at the same time I'm a tad afraid of the work load that lays ahead of me. It will be another very busy quarter, but will allow the time to pass quickly at the same time. I can already feel the stress of graduation... 8 months and counting!!! AHHHHH

**This blog has been ready for over two weeks now, however I've been waiting on Zach to finish editing his photos. Well, today (and yes literally today which is now 1.18.10) I gave him a crash course on Photoshop! It went well minus the fact that he says he is bored and tired of the computer now and I had to beat him to finish the final image lol It did get done however so YAY!! Here are his images from the trip and I'm sorry, but he will not write on his work this round... so I'll try to get something out of him and I'll do the writing.

This is on Bear Lake when we were first getting started on our hike. This was the first time anyone had been snowshoeing ... I think. What a blast it was. It's pretty fun to look at everything from his perspective. I stopped every time he stopped and I was taking photos where he would take photos... not always of the same things and yet they are always different. Goes to show you how everyone sees things differently :) I love photography!
This is my favorite photo he's ever taken of me :)
Here, we are inside of the Stanley Hotel and Zach's trying to get his 'wide angle' effect on the human now lol Lucky me... I do have to admit though, this image makes me laugh. I'm like an alien. I have the largest forehead!! I know you're all jealous ;)
And Now he's workin it on Joe.
The hike...
Love this!

Our resting point...
This is the final photo of the image I have above with Zach laying down... Success!

The venture back down...
This is the image I told him to put together. He hated me for making him do this, but I think he's happy with the results and now he knows how to use photoshop like a pro lol plus, I dig this! It's cute...
Back at Bear Lake. (Zach's first Pano. This was his given Assignment for the day lol)



I hope you enjoyed the photos and have a wonderful week :)

- Jessi & Zach

P.S...

Snowshoe rentals - $16
RMNP Entrance Fee - $20
Great weekend with friends - Priceless.

No comments: