The subject that I’m choosing has been a great interest to me since I was little. I’ve always loved photographing people. I think people are fascinating and we each have our own stories, character, and ultimately ways of expressing ourselves whether it been through our sense of style, body language/expression, hobbies, or simply the way we see, think, and do things in everyday life. I want to focus on just one subject for this project and take as many photos as possible until I understand what it takes to capture someone’s personality on film. I never ask a subject to smile. I’d much rather capture not only “in the moment,” but also who they truly are. I’ve found that when you ask someone to smile, it becomes more uncomfortable for the subject and they’re not longer themselves. They’re being forced and therefore making their smile unnatural. Annie Leibovitz has said, “You can almost hear the sigh of relief when you tell someone they don’t have to smile.” I completely agree. People feel more comfortable when there is no pressure and they then can loosen up and become themselves in front of the camera. This is the approach I take. I want these portraits to be outside with as much natural light as possible because I believe that it’s the most beautiful light there is. Overall, I would like to capture my subject in his natural state of being which involves getting to know him more personally, his stories that have yet to be told (we all have such interesting experiences), expression, and character. I hope to portray all of these somewhat so that the viewer is able to then see them and feel like they know the subject.
Here's a photo from the beginning of the series :)
For more photos from the series please go to www.zachtarbet.photoherald.com (the password is zach). Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment