Saturday, August 2, 2008

Drivers Edge!

Today was the day I was looking forward to and yet so very nervous for. I worked for an hour, came home to change, and then I headed off to Drivers Edge. I'm not sure if you've heard about it or not, but its a driver program that teaches how to care for you're car, how to drive it, and what to do when you're in an emergency situation. (www.driversedge.org) Brother took it about 2 weeks ago and loved it. So...I get there and sign in and we get lectured and see a video about horrible wreck that happened awhile ago in Vegas. We then get split into groups. There are 4 rotations (2 driving and 2 lectures). I started on a driving station...the ABS station.
The ABS station had 2 little courses. One where you gun it and when the instructor tells you to slam on the brakes you do. Once you stop in a straight line and the 2nd time around you learn how to stop around a corner. The 2nd part of the course you're told to gun it again and at the wall of cones to swerve over into "the other lane" of cones all while driving a brand new BMW s361 ahhh!! it was so nice haha I was sad to leave that car. Oh and by the way I only hit one cone out of 4 rounds...Go me!
2nd rotation - I moved to the DUI unit of the Denver Police Academy. We tried on the impairment vision goggles and let me tell you...that was pretty funny hahah everyone was stumbling all over the place! However I did put on the goggles that are the equivalent of a 6 pack and was able to balance on one foot for 30 (which is apparently one of their 3 things they have you do) perfectly! haha it's because I was a gymnast. I thought it was funny...most people couldn't even do that without any goggles on. We also did a driving stimulator that looks like a video game and they add difficulty by adding alcohol intake to the stimulator...the first kid rolled us off the road into a ditch and then we rolled it down and down and down some hill. Then I went and i did well for awhile, but then it was crazy! I couldn't keep the car in any of the lanes ha! I was all over the road and eventually off the road and almost into a tree...so message being...NEVER drink and drive (not that I would, but seriously the statistics they gave us were scary every 51 minutes another teen is killed by drunk driving).
3rd rotation - I called shot gun (since whoever is sitting front after the demo gets to drive first) and I was able to hydroplane/drift!!! It was awesome and I want to do it again ha it was so awesome!!!
4th - we learned about proper use of our car. Overall it was a really amazing experience and I'd encourage everyone to take it if you get the chance. Since then...I've been home hiding from the 100* weather and doing some homework so that I can go to the lake tomorrow =] yay first time since I've been here. My boss and the team girls at my gym are going and I was invited. That's pretty exciting! Work has been going really really well too!! I've taken on a lot of new things to help her boost her academy program. I figure I'm the one of all people there since I was taught by the two best ... Mom and Dad! =]

Anyways...I'll end the novel here. I love you all and have a great rest of the weekend!

xoxo

No comments: