Hey guys, we're getting closer to the last of the Tokyo blogs... hold on tight this is going to be another long one.
Here we're headed to Senso-ji Temple (popularly known as Asakusa Kannon... it's Tokyo's most sacred temple and we were told it has some awesome souvenirs). I had already had experience navigating the subways, but dad was attempting to learn and it made for lots of laughs and confusing looks. The Temple was actually pretty amazing. I hope you enjoy the the following photos :)
 |
| Here's dad reading my subway map and trying to figure out where we were going on his own lol |
 |
| Crossing the street to get to the Temple...just you wait! |
 |
| Check out the Space needle look alike. I found out that you can actually go up in it. Guess that will have to go on the list for the next time we visit Tokyo. |
 |
| Welcome to the Temple! This is Kaminarimon Gate which used to be called the "Thunder Gate" and had burned down in 1865. It was rebuilt in 1960 and the statues that are inside the gate have their old heads, but new bodies. Wait until you see them. Surprised it didn't haunt me in my sleep. |
 |
| Me in front of Thunder Gate. |
 |
| Mom and Dad! |
 |
| Close up of the lantern hanging inside of the Thunder Gate. Aren't these gorgeous?! |
 |
| More information on the gate. |
 |
| Detail of the lantern. |
 |
| This was just as I walked through the gate. Here is the walkway to the temple. This is called the Nakamise-dori. It's a street of traditional treasures from haircombs, fans, dolls, kimonos, and sashes. This is where I bought a few things :) Too bad a lot of it was still pricey so no silk kimonos for this girl. |
 |
| Scary right? See what I was surprised he didn't haunt me sleep? |
 |
| Time to go shopping!! |
 |
| The giant red things... they have become tradition for our family. Each time Jake visits here, he buys us these guys. They're really cool. You make a wish and color in one eye. When the wish comes true you color in the other eye. I've got one that has both eyes (From Jake's first trip) and I also brought one home this trip :) Anyways, this was the largest one we have seen. It was about the size of a human head (actually bigger...). Crazy. |
 |
| Hozo-mon Gate. Built in 1964 of reinforced concrete. What's crazy is that it's a two story gate that hold a number of 14th century Chinese sutras upstairs. I seriously love all the lanterns and was most excited about seeing a real pagoda! |
 |
| Can't read any of these, but I thought that they were really cool. It's a row of painting that tell a story. This was one of my favorites. |
 |
| Here are statues donated by a wealthy Edo merchant. |
 |
| Information for the statues and little garden area. |
 |
| Getting ready to go under the big two story gate. |
 |
| Ah ha! The huge 5 story pagoda. It's a replica built in 1973 of the original pagoda. Wait for the human size scale. It's incredible. |
 |
| Heading towards the main hall where real monks still live and practice. |
 |
| This is pretty cool. I was hoping it would rub off on me too... |
 |
| It's an incense burner. (You have to purchase for a fee so we opted out, but did watch as other participated). This is one of the temples focal points. It is constantly surround by crowds of people who waft the smoke over themselves to help keep them healthy. (Maybe I should have paid the fee lol) |
 |
| While I was watching people mom turned around and found another water thing. I turned to check it out with her, but didn't get a great chance to look because... |
 |
| While I was watching the traditional way to drink the water to show your respects to the gods, mom pointed out the ceiling. |
 |
| When I looked back down after snapping a photo a little old man was standing very close to me. (Ok, we haven't seen many homeless people at this point, but we're pretty sure he was one by the looks of his feet. He had them wrapped in newspaper and tied to string). I was a little more than startled and wasn't quite sure what to do. He asked if he could talk with me and I said yes (not wanting to be a rude American). He asks where I'm from (I told him the United States), he asks which state (I told him Nevada... BIG mistake). He goes on to talk to me about Yucca mountain and the bad waste and how it's sure to make people sick and it's bad for us. How nuclear is bad for humans then went on to tell me the recent events of what happened with their nuclear problems and how their fisherman have acid burns on their skin and that people are sick. That it's in their water and while I did feel bad for him, what can I really do? It's happened. It's terribly sad and yes nuclear power plants are very dangerous, but I'm only one person. I couldn't change any of it by myself. Efforts are being made to clean up their country. So what else... I could donate, I could try to comfort those I met, I could raise awareness, but there are people who are also doing that. There are better people doing it. I wouldn't be donating much and all the photos and video I know brought awareness to everyone. Yes we call go back to our "American" ways, but honestly... I'm only one being out of the whole picture. I can't change the world and I doubt it's going to really change anytime soon. I feel bad for those all effected (it still makes their front page everyday), but all I feel I can do is to keep them in my prayers and hope that things will all work out. In the meantime, mom and dad wondered off and left me with this strange man who decided to lecture me on nuclear power. Thanks guys. |
 |
| I had finally told the man that I was very sorry for what they have had to go through. I wished him the best, but told him I had to go. I caught up to my parents and decided to check out the main hall. |
 |
| Inside was beautiful. |
 |
| Just check out these paintings! |
 |
| This is an angel with lotus flowers and was painted in the 20th century by Domoto Insho. |
 |
| Love the gold and all the pretty flowers. This main hall is a gold plated shrine house and was the original image of Kannon. |
 |
| Worshipers come to pay their respects by throwing coins and lighting candles. |
 |
| HUGE doors leading in and out of the main hall. |
 |
| Here I am inside the main hall. |
 |
| View from inside the main hall looking back toward the gates and incense burner. |
 |
| Main hall. |
 |
| Walking back down to the enterance, I stopped again to look at the row of paintings. When I saw this I loved it. I remember reading about how the man who founded this temple. Here's what the book told me, In AD 628 two fisherman fished a small gold statue of Kannon, the buddhist goddess of mercy, from the Sumida River. Their master built a shrine to Kannon, then in 645 the holy man Shokai built a temple to her. Its fame, wealth, and size grew until Tokugawa Ieyasu bestowed upon it a large stipend of land. The Yoshiwara pleasure quarter moved nearby in 1657 only to increase it's poplularity. The temple survived the 1923 earthquake, but not the WWII bombing. It's main buildings are therefore relatively new, but follow the Edo-era layout. It's also said that people following their daily rituals make this place so special. (It's true. We were even yelled at to stop taking pictures of their gods... so why do you think that is?) |
 |
| Anyways, we were starving at this point and decided to grab some lunch. We're always happy to find a place that not only offers soda, but as a machine. (They have tiny portions and DO NOT give free refills so either pay $5 for a tiny drink or go thirsy) Oh, and we loved these glasses lol |
 |
| Cool machine! |
 |
| I was also craving a big burger and fries so that what I got! However, don't be fooled... still wasn't our American food, but it did my tummy well! |
 |
| This is where we were really fooled. May look and smell like ice cream but it is NOT! Not sure if I mentioned it to you on one of the earlier posts, but my dad grabbed one I think the first night we were there. He asked if I wanted a bite and when I took one... YUCK! He said it tasted funny and he was right. It was like biting into a stick of butter. While I do love my butter on toast, rolls, and such, I do not want my ice cream to taste like butter. From then on, we referred to it as such... Butter Cream. Blehhh gross. |
 |
| Totally wanted to ride in one of these. |
 |
| Here's the Nade Botokesan Buddha. The delicate statue has been polished smooth by the hands of those hoping for good luck and help with ailments. |
 |
| Standing underneath the pagoda. |
 |
| Look at how big it is! |
 |
| Ok and an even bigger monument... This is the 2nd gate I showed you. The Hozo-mon Gate. Can you spot momma and I?? |
 |
| <3 |
 |
| The Yougoudo Hall houses 8 recent Buddha statues... we were out to find them all! |
 |
| KITTY! |
 |
| Hexagonal Temple. Rare survivor from the 15th or 16th century. |
 |
| Yougoudo Hall |
 |
| Such a pretty garden. |
 |
| This is where I was yelled at by a man on a bike yelling at me for taking a picture of his God. |
 |
| Check out all those origami cranes! |
 |
| Asakusa Jinja, built in 1649. It's a shrine dedicated to the men who found the Kannon Statue. |
 |
| Awesome. |
 |
| Ok, so we found a Baskin Robbins and decided what were the odds that this company would serve butter cream? So we tried it.. and well it was somewhat normal, but still had a funny taste. No wonder people live forever and are so skinny lol |
 |
| Heading back to our hotel... Mom and dad in the subway! |
 |
| Here comes our train! |
 |
| Check out his shoes lol |
 |
| After our train ride down beneath the city... up we go! |
 |
| Our hotel! |
 |
| Down the street from our hotel... The tech centers and Times Square. |
 |
| Saved us ... no joke. |
 |
| Trains running through Times Square. |
 |
| After getting back to our room, we received word from Jake to come over so we did... Check out his Medal!!! |
 |
| Cool box. |
 |
| After visiting for a bit with Jake, we had to leave and well... We were hungry and let some of our others pick the food. We went very authentic. |
 |
| COKES! |
 |
| After being forgotten, I finally got my bowl of rice and a frozen slab of pork... well luckily dad had gotten 2 pork slabs and I was able to eat one of those. It was pretty tasty and I was really getting the whole chop stick thing down. |
So, tell me... which has been your favorite so far?? Leave me a comment below letting me
know and I'll send you a 5x7 print!
XoXo
No comments:
Post a Comment