Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Angel Island.

It's about time I got this up ... I have been oober busy this last week with photo shoots, editing, and enjoying the 4th of July/Zach's mini vacation. Today has gone by in the blink of an eye. I did laundry, cleaned my room, organized the desk that became a storage unit over the last five days and I narrowed my photo session down to the 50 images I need to edit in order to show the clients. Oh and did I mention I took the dog for a walk and made dinner? Yeah, blink and the day is over... well almost. I have just finished dinner and I've brought my laptop downstairs to enjoy a little tv and to blog about our wonderful adventures through San Francisco. Here we go.

It was the morning of June 14 when we woke up early, ate breakfast at our hotel, and headed back to the fisherman's wharf to find Pier 33 and jump on the Alcatraz/Angel Island tour. I have SO many images that this day will have to be split into several blogs. To start it all off you'll join us on our walk to the wharf and Angel Island. I sure do hope you enjoy the many images ;)

Walking the streets of San Francisco can be a bit challenging as you may have seen on the last blog. We were constantly running into dead ends and went up and down and UP and down the hills, but eventually we found a path that was easily navigable. When we reached Lombard Street, we all stopped to glance again at the 'curviest' road. I love this image not only because of the street sign that will one day allow me to remember which road the is the curviest, but also because the apartments that are behind it. I loved them! I would live in that one if I I wanted to live in a shoe box lol

More of the cool streets and houses.
Zach on the corner of Lombard and Stockton.
As the clock continued to count down and we were still a little ways away, we decided to pick up speed and were almost in a jog to make sure we arrived on time. The ticket said it'll leave without you and that would be bad. The first boat out is the only one that leaves to both Angel Island and Alcatraz and since we paid for both... we almost ran lol
Just leaving the harbor I spotted the Coit Tower. Pretty neat. Now you can see the dang hill we had to climb up and round.
This huge cruise ship was docked in the harbor... I still can't believe just how big it was!
Zach and I on the boat to Angel Island :)
Passing Alcatraz...

Couldn't decide if I liked the color or black and white version better....





Waving goodbye to Alcatraz and saw this awesome boat! LoVE it... it's like a mini pirate ship and I wanted it.
The same awesome boat again, but this time with the San Francisco skyline.
Bye bye Alcatraz. We'll be seeing you soon... one stop closer to Angel Island.
This is a panorama of Alcatraz as we continued towards Angel Island. (Click to enlarge)
This seagull kept circling overhead and all us kids thought it was pretty funny.
Finally made it to Angel Island!! Jake and Kayla waiting to get off the boat. So cute!
After arriving on the island, we were herded (yes herded as in cattle) onto these shuttle bus things to tour the island on a five mile circle. Our first stop on the bus stopped on top of the island at an overlook ... Such a beautiful view! Check out the Golden Gate! I love the fog and how the bridge peeks over.
Eventually Angel Island was taken over by the Military and these are where the military officers and families stayed. Pretty neat houses on a great island with an awesome view.


This was our tour guide... we all thought he looked and acted like the guy from Hangover hahah he was a little more tame, but still. Don't you think?
Couldn't get enough of the foggy bridge.
Out of the shuttle do da and out to take some photos. Look at my cute man!

Aww momma and dad!

Jake and Kayla's turn!
And last but not least... Kayla was in training to be our personal photographer lol
Multiple images combined to get this color popping image.

Jake and Kayla just before we had to jump back on the shuttle bus.

Pano of the San Francisco Bay (Click to enlarge)
Ok seriously... this is like the 15th image of the Golden Gate haha I guess I really liked the view of it from Angel Island.
This point is where some lady (can't remember all the info that's spit out at me) went to blow the horn for incoming boats when there was heavy fog. They also named the hill we were on after her for all of her efforts. She blew the horn for 12 straight hours or something crazy like that! I don't know how she did that without falling asleep lol
Into the area where the rest of the military stayed.
This is where the officers stayed.
They had a church...
Administration Building...
Post office...
Guard house...
A 'firehouse' thingy... this green pump under the tree is where they pumped water from the bay to use for fires and such.

Rec house I believe... but doesn't look too good now lol

Hospital.
This was the Ellis Island of West Coast. As the military retreated it left this to be a check point for all the japanese and immigrants trying to get into San Francisco. This gate lead down the hill to a hotel-ish sort of thing where those who couldn't get into the city stayed until papers were filed. Sometimes there were sent back.
Almost back around to the beginning of the island. This image isn't so much for the pretty picture, but more for the water. You can see a line where the Ocean meets the Bay water. It's pretty cool that it mixes like that.
Back on the boat and headed towards Alcatraz.
Looking up at the officers housing. I would love that top white house... you know the one with the red trim I showed way up there on the blog. Yeah... it's cute.

Seriously... another bridge picture lol
This has got to be one of my favorites so far! I love this. It's multiple images combined, but I love the dark and grittyness to it. It makes it feel like a prison and not just like a pretty picture.
Well guys... that was Angel Island and the next stop will be Alcatraz. After Alcatraz we landed back in Pier 33 and headed to 39 to enjoy a little aquarium time. Stay tuned! I will try to get these posted quickly so that it's not Christmas and still trying to catch up from June haha I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July! I know we did Here in Denver. I have one last blog post from the 4th to post and other than that... it'll be all about San Fran :) Have a great night everyone! Love you and thanks for all the birthday wishes, calls, texts, and cards. You're all so wonderful and I love you!

XoXo

No comments: