Thursday, July 14, 2011

Welcome to Alcatraz.

Things this week have been pretty insane. I've had two shoots leading to a lot of editing, a client meeting, and emails/business papers to catch up on. I've got a lot in store for me today, but after yesterday I'm ready. It was a really productive morning followed by an afternoon at the pool with a good friend, Anna. We had a chance to catch up on our lives after school and had quite a few good laughs. I'm proud to say that I'm slowly, but surely tanning. Ha! No longer going to be the white girl that Jake makes fun of... sorry if Denver finally decided to get warm. Better late than never! Anyways, tomorrow Zach has the day off and we're planning on going to a shooting range where he gets to shoot clay pigeons and I'll be his personal button pusher! Should be fun. Saturday we're going hiking and I just got my new point and shoot camera from my parents (images to come soon) and I'm very excited to give its first assignment. It will be great and I'm so excited to test it out and see just how wonderful this camera is!! By Sunday, it's back to work and I know I'll be ready after the two day break. I have a lot of other blogs to catch up on too, so I'll do my best to get my butt in gear and get them posted.

Anyways, back to our trip to San Fran. After Angel Island we got back on the boat and headed over to Alcatraz. It was about a 20-30 minute boat ride with incredible views of the Golden Gate, San Francisco skyline, and the Bay.

We first took off from Pier 33 where we had purchased tickets from Alcatraz landing to go on an 5.5 hour journey to Angel Island and Alcatraz. You've already seen the images from Angel Island however, this one didn't make it sadly. So, here it is now :)
After we taxied into the harbor thing at Alcatraz we grabbed a few maps and what not and jumped in the line of people heading up the hill. We stopped here while Dad was looking over into the Bay at Angel Island and I took this opportunity to photograph Jake and Kayla! I love these images and so pleased with how well they came out. I learned you can't control the lighting, time of day, or whats around you when you're a tourist and being herded like cows, but these came out amazing!

As we continued our walk, We saw a mom and son glancing over this fence thing... we stopped to see what the hype was about and found this momma sea gull with her 3 little babies. The babies are tucked up in the green hedge just to the right of the mom.
After the shot of the Sea gull, I moved back to capture more images of the cute couple.
Back to walking up to the prison. Here's the water tower that provided drinking water for the prison, families, and guards.
Alright, now it was time for me to stop and look over at the Bay and Angel Island. This photo is for my mom... do you remember mom? You said you loved this little cloud that hung over the edge of Angel Island.
Entrance to the Prison!
Kayla and I pose for our photo under the 75th year anniversary of the prison. Does this look familiar? She framed and sent this photo to me for my birthday. Aww! Love that girl!
And so the tour of the prison begins. Here is where prisoners would come in and get showered, get bedding, and their prison clothes/laundry room.
Showers.

First steps into the prison cell area. Each row of cells has a street name. This first row is 'Michigan Ave'
On Michigan Ave there were some signs who showed who were our narrators for our audio tour of the prison. Well, here they are. Some are Officers and some were Inmates.
A look into a cell of an inmate. Pretty plain... Bed, sink and toilet. Looks like a closet. I would go crazy in one of them.
When an inmate first arrives in his cell, such as in cell 113, they receive a rules and regulations booklet.
Rounding the back side of Michigan Ave is 'Times Square.' Through the doorway under Times Square is the Dining hall, but that comes much later in the tour. Let's continue...
We skip a few rows of cells and continue down Times Square to see this board of what the rec yard looked like for an inmate. They only got rec time if there were well behaved, followed the rules (like keeping your cell clean), and eventually you were given a little baseball. Pretty neat. Photo: Jake Dalton
And down Broadway we go.
I am amazed at how many cells there really are. It's an endless row. I can't imagine what it'd be like. Day after day in a shoe box and only being able to leave it about 3 times a day for meals. That's if you were in a normal cell... if you were in Solitary... oh boy!
3 stories of cells...
Only those who were serious criminals were put into solitary. Here are just a few of the famous men who were imprisoned here on Alcatraz. I think the most famous would be Al Capone aka Scarface. (click to enlarge the image and get a better view of faces and names and a small description of why there were in)
Row of solitary confinement.
Meals were pushed through holes in the doors. You never left this. At least it was a tad bit bigger than a normal cells, but still... rough!
Jake and Kayla were sentenced to solitary confinement too... poor guys :( I mean just look how sad they are haha
Now to the library! This would be my favorite place if I were an inmate. This is at the end of solitary confinement... let's go in!
Shelves for books... and 3 whole benches. Whoa!
If you enlarge this you can read a little more on the library, like how they couldn't have books that talked of violence and crimes haha
Zach in the library.
Ooo... just outside of the library is 'C-D St'. It's where the most dangerous inmates were held.
It's also were 6 inmates planned an escape... Click to enlarge and read on their escape.
They created a devise that stretched the bars enough for them to sneak out! Genius!
The keys to the cells were hung on this hook looking thing and the guards would walk behind the gun gallery to protect the keys. Well, an inmate distracted the guard while another attacked and killed the guard allowing them to grab the keys and let others out while locking up a few guards. Smart smart smart.
This is the cell and photo of a guard that died during the escape.

Once alarms were sounded and reinforcements were called in, the military sent troops onto the roof of the building, dropped a grenade in through the roof... This is my family listening to the narrators talking about the raid.
The hole that was never repaired from the grenade drop and the splatters where it went off. Pretty neat.
Zachary.
Cute! lol
Collection of items in two inmates cells. One has paintings and such the other has books. Feeling a little more homey here.
Jake and Kayla looking out the tiny windows where inmates would be allowed to visit with family or whoever came to see them. I believe that they only got a visitor once a month. Could be wrong. There was SO much information on this tour. I could go 8 times and still not remember everything.
Guards desk/break roomish thing.
Officers uniform.
Alcatraz only had 4 wardens in it's life time and here they are.
This is the Wardens House. It was beautiful even in it's ruins.
One of my favorite shots from Alcatraz.
The lighthouse ...
View of San Fran from the outside of the prison. I just remembered that the audio tour said that sometimes like on New Years, the prisoners would be able to hear laughter, music, and such from San Fran. It was said to be worse than prison to be able to hear everyday things and not be able to participate. It drove some crazy.
Back into the prison...
The office...


Back down Michigan Ave to hear about another escape attempt... Click to enlarge.
How they fooled the guards... the created fake heads. Gave them quite a few hours head start! Tricky tricky!
This is where they tunneled into I think with spoons. Same shot, but one shows the interior of the pipes and such, the other has Zach looking like a ghost... thought it was cool.
This is me standing at the end of Michigan Ave looking back down the row of cells trying to get you the perspective of the rows!
Same cell as above with the fake head.
Zach and I inside a cell... Zach pooping (not really, just being a goofball hahah) and me just hanging out lol I'm assuming the two hobbies an inmate has.
Aww
Another favorite.
Back in Times Square and into the Dining Hall. Here is where the knives were kept. They painted what and where each knife should be, but one day one went missing and all broke loose.
Alcatraz Closes - March 21, 1963
San Quentin replaces Alcatraz and Alcatraz becomes a National Park/Monument
Heading back down to catch a speaking tour of the escapes! But isn't this a beautiful shot?! They've allowed garden vendors to come in and help restore beauty to the island.

More of Jake and Kayla!

They get pretty silly too...

Not sure what Kayla was doing, but Jake's wink is hilarious! lol
Cute!

Love love love.

Dad was like a little kid on this tour hahah he was so excited. Turned out, it was Zach's favorite too.
Our tour guide... Dad said he reminds him of ... oh shoot... the guy who owns Virgin Mobil and now apparently an air line. google time... HA! Richard Branson.

After the tour, back to the dock and jumped on the boat. Don't wanna miss the boat or be stuck on the island! haha jk but you'll have to pay for a water taxi. Back at Pier 33 where we looked at our souvenir photo and head back towards our hotel.
Group Photo!
Still had some daylight left so we headed to Pier 39 and decided to hit the Aquarium :)

Stay tuned for images from the Aquarium, Day 3 in San Fran, and the remaining day of our trip home in June. Also, a shout out to Jayme Lynn... stay strong and keep your chin held high. You are an amazing lady and there isn't a thing you can't do if you put your mind to it. Stay positive! I love you!!

Thanks for reading guys. I love each and everyone of you. MUAH!

No comments: